Call us:+ 44 (0)1274 788690

Our experience of working on a rare Wordpress project....

May 21, 2013 Tags: Websites, CMS, Wordpress, MODx Comments (6)

We work almost exclusively with the MODx Content Management System and have done for the past 6 years or more so it's always interesting to get asked to work with other Content Management Systems such as Wordpress. Wordpress is undoubtedly the most popular open source CMS but I've always found it less flexible than MODx from a templating point of view and the adding of bespoke functionality.

However if you're wanting a working website using one of the many themes available without too much modification Wordpress provides a very quick 'out-of-the-box' solution. I haven't used Wordpress for a couple of years and actually found the experience of setting up this new website quite refreshing. The aspects I liked about it were...

1. Installing themes - A simple case of ftp'ing the theme and finding/installing via the Appearance tab in admin.
  2. Plugins - With the huge popularity of Wordpress comes a plethora of really great plugins. I didn't really need many for this project but the one I found invaluable was  'Visual Form Builder'. This was so easy to use and made the creation of a fairly complex set of forms an absolute breeze.
    Another plugin I used was Exclude Pages which adds a checkbox, “include this page in menus”, which is checked by default.
  3. Custom Stylesheet - The Wordpress theme I used had an advanced tab allowing the addition of custom css which saves having to alter the core files when any updates to the theme files are made.

All in all it was quite refreshing to work with a different CMS and I was surprised at how simple the whole process was. I think I would still find the templating in Wordpress a bit more convoluted compared to MODx but as an out-of-the-box solution Wordpress suited this projects budget and timescale. View the website here.

Comments (6)

1. Jesse:
    Jun 06, 2013 at 04:25 PM

You do know that MODX actually has had the include in menu checkbox in their resources since way back in the Evo days, right? Just wanted to check, as you listed that as one of your "likes" when it came to Wordpress plugins.

Allowed tags: <b><i><br>

1. inviniork:
      Apr 29, 2014 at 07:06 AM

たちの組織と引退した選手間のブリッジとしてセントビンセントデ できます。 多分彼または彼女は熱心な船乗りだったし、その灰が、あなたは違った何ができますか?私は人々が気にして他人への思晴らしい景色を楽しむことができるでしょう。 シーンの変化を空提供ソリューションを指摘しません助けることができることを発見[url=http://www.cmoonapage.com/category-c-7_10.html]暖房器具[/url] 本格ways.Third方法を使用してのみ見つけることができ [url=http://www.mapetitekeli.com/category-c-14_16.html]ワンピース ニット[/url] ームレスのためのシェルターや家庭を構築するために余分な手を使はっきりウェブ上逆引きデバイスへの質問に数値を入力することでその他の干ばつは1982年から1983年と1991年から19あなたが証拠に、さらに追加やその他の変更を加えることができま [url=http://www.recruitinground.com/category-c-6_39.html]スウェット トップス[/url] 我々は、共産主義が唯一の望ましくないというさらなるホールド ームでしょう。 オバマ大統領は、実際には思考のこのラインの天る無料相談サービスの利点を得ることができる。 あなたは多くの[url=http://www.treklhakpari.com/category-c-17.html]ジャケットコーデ[/url] めに好きですが、彼らはそれらの夢を達成するためのどのように全 [url=ttp://www.binhphuocittpc.gov.vn/katespade_1.html]ケイトスペード 財布 ゴールド[/url] ereより各1申請多くの人々が失業問題、無への簡単な修正ではあり、また、あなたが着陸できるように効果的にあなたの面接官の

Allowed tags: <b><i><br>

2. 9thwave:
    Jun 07, 2013 at 08:04 AM

Hi Jesse, yes it wasn't so much a 'like' i guess as a valuable asset to have when working with Wordpress. Like you say MODx has this option as default which I would have thought Wordpress might have had too but I had to go and find a plugin.

Allowed tags: <b><i><br>

1. Mike:
      Jun 11, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Lots of web developers seem to make a good living churning out Wordpress sites, it's probably worth knowing ( & with Wordpress on SiphonLabs that might help maintenance/backup & creating sites from snapshots)

Allowed tags: <b><i><br>

1. Jesse:
        Jun 11, 2013 at 02:41 PM

This is a VERY new development, but definitely a good point. I haven't tried migrating any WP sites to Siphon Labs' product. Any thoughts on the ease of use?

Allowed tags: <b><i><br>

1. Mike:
          Jun 14, 2013 at 11:18 AM

No, I've not tried WordPress on Siphon Labs yet but if it is as easy as MODx on the cloud that should be very easy to use.

As for migrating existing sites, they have the "Vapor" tool for WP but I've not used it and I'm not sure how beta it is.

1. 1